BPS is 50 years!2020 marked 50 years since the Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences was established by the FIP Council. Click here to learn more about the history of the BPS and look into its future.
BPS handles all aspects of FIP’s scientific activities and addresses challenges
The major role of the BPS is to handle all scientific aspects of FIP’s activities. The BPS’s vision is to be the global focal point for the promotion of pharmaceutical sciences and thereby contribute to the promotion of world health, especially through disease prevention and treatment.
Advances in the pharmaceutical sciences improve the discovery, development, manufacture and use of safe, effective and quality medicines and medical products. In order to ensure that science remains at the core of pharmacy, the BPS vision includes being a partner in related aspects of pharmaceutical education.
The mission of the BPS is to serve as the leading international forum for the promotion of scientific interchange among pharmaceutical scientists, education in the pharmaceutical sciences, and the advancement of the pharmaceutical sciences globally.
The BPS has outlined five strategic objectives in order to realise its vision and mission, accompanied by specific activities. This can be found in its “Strategic plan”, published in 2018.
News from the Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences
Read here our latest newsletters.
Challenges and opportunities for pharmaceutical sciences
The chairs of eight of the SIGs have compiled opinions with regard to major challenges for the pharmaceutical sciences over the next five to 10 years in a paper published in 2015.
Inspiring future pharmaceutical scientists
The ever-pressing need to make medicines even safer while ensuring that development is efficient and cost-effective means that the science of medicines will be as important in the future as it has been over the past 50 years. The BPS has developed a brochure, “Changing the world by translating science into practice — Will YOU be part of the future?”, as a resource to help promote a pharmaceutical sciences career path among undergraduates. It highlights the array of challenges that need to be conquered in the different pharmaceutical science fields in order to improve our health care. A PowerPoint presentation supporting this brochure and promoting the pharmaceutical science career path can be downloaded by FIP members here. If you’re an educator and would like to have some printed copies, email email@example.com.
Structure of the board
The BPS comprises:
- Executive Committee
- FIP President (ex officio member), Mr Dominique Jordan
- FIP Vice President nominated by the BPS
- Chairs of FIP’s special interest groups
- Delegates of FIP’s predominantly scientific member organisations (PSMOs)
- Expert members
The Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences, January 2018
BPS Executive Committee
- Chair (2020-2024): Prof. Ross McKinnon
- FIP Scientific Secretary (2019-2023): Prof. Giovanni Pauletti
- Elected Member (2018–2022): Prof. Shinji Yamashita
- Elected Member (2018–2022): Prof. Marilyn Morris
- FIP Professional Secretary (2017-2021): Mr Luís Lourenço
- Immediate Past Chair (2020-2022): Prof. Tatsuro Irimura
- and as an ex officio member, FIP CEO: Dr Catherine Duggan
Vice President nominated by the BPS
- FIP Vice President (2020-2024): Prof. Hiroshi Suzuki
- Drug delivery and manufacturing: Prof. Tetsuya Ozeki
- New generation of pharmaceutical scientists: Dr Rebecka Isaksson
- New medicines: Prof. Takuya Kumamoto
- Personalised and precision medicine: Prof. Stephanie Huang
- Pharmacy practice research: Dr Victoria Garcia Cardenas
- Regulatory sciences and quality: Dr Horst-Dieter Friedel
PSMOs are entitled to be represented by one or several delegates based on their number of members.
- Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Great Britain (APSGB): Dr Hannah Batchelor
- Academy of Pharmaceutical Science and Technology of Japan (APSTJ): Prof. Shinji Yamashita and Prof. Moribe
- Australasian Pharmaceutical Sciences Association (APSA): Dr Joseph Nicolazzo
- European Federation of Pharmaceutical Scientists (EUFEPS): Prof. Erem Bilensoy
- Indian Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists and Technologists (IAPST): Prof. N. Udupa
- Iranian Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists (IranAPS): Prof. Omid Sabzevari
- Pharmaceutical Society of Japan (PSJ): Dr Ichiro Matsuoka, Ms Itsuko Ishii and Dr Hiroshi Suzuki
- Pharmaceutical Society of Korea (PSK): Prof. Beom-Jin Lee
- National Institute of Public Health, Clinical Epidemiology and Toxicology - Lebanon: Prof. Pascale Salameh
- National Academy of Pharmaceutical Sciences of Mexico: Dr Jose Manuel Cardenas
- Spanish Society of Pharmaceutics and Pharmaceutical Technology (SEFIG): Prof. María José Blanco Prieto
- Pharmaceutical Society of China Taiwan (PST): Prof. Jaw-Jou Kang
- Turkish Pharmaceutical Technology Scientists' Association (TUFTAD): Ms Nevin Celebi
In order for the board to implement and achieve the goals defined, expert members are appointed, serving for a specified period. Criteria for selection of expert members are that the individual has an international reputation and recognition in one or more fields of pharmaceutical sciences and that the person is thought to be an opinion leader in his/her field and represents a geographical region of the globe. The current expert members are:
- Dr Luther Gwaza (Zimbabwe) - as WHO Designated Technical Officer/Observer
- Prof. Panos Macheras (Greece/USA)
- Prof. Don Mager (USA)
- Prof. Marilyn Morris (USA)
- Prof. Xiaoliang Wang (China)
- A/Prof. Michael Ward (Australia) - as Co-Chair of Congress Programme Committee
- United States Pharmacopeia (USP): Dr Anthony Lakavage
- European Directorate for the Quality of Medicines and Healthcare (EDQM): Dr Francois-Xavier Lery
- FIP Young Pharmacists Group (YPG) Chair: Dr Louisa Sullivan
- International Pharmaceutical Students' Federation (IPSF) President: Mr Oussama Madadi
Official governance meetings of the BPS are usually scheduled early in the year and during the FIP annual congress.
Official journal of the BPS
The official journal of FIP's Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences is the Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences.