FIP Council, Bureau and Executive Committee
FIP's highest organ is its Council. All national pharmaceutical associations (member organisations) and national pharmaceutical scientific associations (predominantly scientific member organisations) are represented in the Council and have voting rights. FIP's observer organisations, supra-national pharmaceutical (scientific) associations, also participate in the Council but do not have voting rights. The Council also includes representatives from the FIP sections and the Bureau.
Bureau: The board of FIP
The board of FIP because of historical reasons is called the "Bureau" and consists of 14 elected officers (plus the FIP chief executive officer, ex officio):
- Scientific Secretary
- Professional Secretary
- Chair of FIP Education
- President-elect / Immediate Past President
- Chair of the Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences
- Chair of the Board of Pharmaceutical Practice
- 7 Vice Presidents.
Five of the Vice Presidents are appointed by Council from among those proposed by the Bureau (who, in turn, receive proposals for candidates from the member organisations). One Vice President is appointed by Council from among those proposed by the Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences and one Vice President is appointed by Council from among those proposed by the Board of Pharmaceutical Practice.
FIP is a not-for-profit federation founded in 1912.
The FIP head office is based in The Hague, the Netherlands and, as such, FIP operates in accordance with the laws of the Netherlands.
In the Netherlands, such organisations are considered as not-for-profit where any surplus is not regarded as profit for owners or shareholders.
Instead, any monies earned by, or donated to, FIP are used to pursue the Federation’s strategy, supporting programmes of work and ensure FIP can run day-to-day for the benefit of its members.
FIP is governed by statutes adopted by the Council in 2021.
FIP Bureau Members
- Mr Dominique Jordan (Switzerland) President (2018-2023)
- Dr Catherine Duggan (UK) Chief Executive Officer (ex-officio member)
- Mr Paul Sinclair (Australia) President-elect (2022-2023)
- Prof. Ralph Altiere (USA) FIPEd Chair (2020-2024)
- Prof. Giovanni Pauletti (USA) Scientific Secretary (2019-2023)
- Mr Luís Lourenço (Portugal) Professional Secretary (2021-2025)
- Prof. Ross McKinnon (Australia) Chairman of the Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences (2020-2024)
- Mr Daragh Connolly (Ireland) Chairman of the Board of Pharmaceutical Practice (20228-2026)
- Prof. Parisa Aslani (Australia) Vice President (via Board of Pharmaceutical Practice; 2020-2024)
- Ms Manjiri Sandeep Gharat (India) Vice President (via Bureau; 2020-2024)
- Dr Prosper Hiag (Cameroon) Vice President (via Bureau; 2022-2026)
- Dr Marianne Ivey (USA) Vice President (via Bureau; 2022-2026)
- Dr Virginia Olmos (Uruguay) Vice President (via Bureau; 2022-2026)
- Mr Lars-Åke Söderlund (Sweden) Vice President (via Bureau; 2021 - 2025)
- Prof. Hiroshi Suzuki (Japan) Vice President (via Board of Pharmaceutical Sciences; 2020-2024)
The Executive Committee is composed of the President, the Scientific Secretary, the Professional Secretary and the FIPEd Chair. The Executive Committee prepares, proposes and coordinates all the activities of FIP, and refers these matters to the Bureau. The Chief Executive Officer is responsible for, among others, all staff matters and the management of financial affairs. The CEO is an ex officio member of all organs of FIP, but has no voting rights.